We had a vegetarian friend coming over for dinner, so I had to quickly throw some stuff together. This is a variation of a Salsa Verde. If I was making it again (and not catering for a vegetarian), I would probably include the more traditional ingredient of a few anchovies.
- Bag of new/baby potatoes (6 potatoes per person)
- Jar of Pickled Gherkins (3 gherkins or so)
- Handful of Parsley
- Jar of capers (a small handful of capers)
- Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Cut the new potatoes into reasonably small chunks, about the thickness of your thumb, put them into the water.
- Chop the parsley really fine
- Chop the gherkins really fine
- Put the parsley, gherkins and lemon into a bowl and mash them (use a pestle and mortar or even food processor if you want)
- Pour in a good dash of red wine vinegar
- Pour in enough olive oil to make the paste runny but still thick
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain most of the water (leaving a little bit in there to be soaked up). Keep the potatoes in the pot with the leftover water.
- Pour in the paste and shake the pot, making the potatoes slightly fluffy at the edges. This helps the potatoes collect and absorb the sauce.