Speaking of mixes…
Just before Christmas, I took part in the Port Tunnel 10k run. I hadn’t run much before then. In fact, I would estimate that if you if you took all of the times I have run in my life and added them together, you probably wouldn’t get 10K. So how did I go from lazy fat ass to the bronze Adonis I am today?
Well, it’s entirely down to my special 10k iPod playlist* These songs helped keep me going when I couldn’t see anything in the port tunnel except the steam from other people’s sweat. It kept me going when I realised that, after 5 minutes of actually being in the tunnel that I’d seen everything the tunnel had to offer and the next hour or so would be like watching paint dry. Really painful, exhausting paint.
Anyway, so here’s the mix. If anyone’s got any suggestions for additional, suitable song, please let me know. I’ll put them to the test next time I go to the gym.
- We Want Fun – Andrew W.K.
- Still Waiting – Sum 41
- Noise Brigade – Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Training Montage (Rocky IV) – Vince DiCola
- Girls Own Love – Andrew W.K.
- Life During Wartime (Live) – Talking Heads
- How I Could just Kill a Man – Rage Against the Machine
- List of Demands (Reparations) – Saul Williams
- Bump – Spank Rock
- Movies – Alien Ant Farm
- Dancing in the Dark – Bruce Springsteen
- Witness (1 Hope) – Roots Manuva
- Music is my Hot Hot Sex – Cansei De Ser Sexy
- Heart’s On Fire (Rock IV) – John Cafferty
- Fat Lip – Sum 41
- 99 Problems – Jay Z
- Flashdance / Fame – The Dan Band
- God Hates a Coward – Tomahawk
- Fuckin’ Spend – High Speed Scene
- Glory Days – Bruce Springsteen
- Jump – Van Halen
- Holing Out for a Hero – Bonnie Tyler
- Jesus Walks – Kanye West
- Shimmy – System of a Down
- Million $ Man – Imperial Teen
- This Month, Day 10 – Cansei De Ser Sexy
- Goin’ Out West – Tom Waits
- You’re the Voice – John Farnham
- Yes, there’s a lot of Andrew W.K.
- Yes, there’s a lot of 80s power ballads
- Go for the single version of “I need a Hero” – you don’t need six minutes of Bonnie Tyler wailing
- Every life goal should be achieved with Vince DiCola’s “Training Montage” playing in the backround
* – Well, the four or five weeks of training I did beforehand may have helped a little
Daft Punk: “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger”
Cake: “Going the Distance”
Bachman-Turner Overdrive: “Taking Care of Business”
stick some michael jackson in there. and a bit of guns n’ roses.
Nice selection there John – particularly like the Rocky additions. There’s one big gaping hole though, in terms of firing you up for calorie burning efforts: The Prodigy. ANYTHING by the Prodigy, but their latest album had plenty of aggro stuff to keep you going. And maybe The Muppet Show theme for light entertainment value.
@Cian: Those are awesome suggestions – gonna try them out tomorrow morning
@Seamus: I dunno about Guns n’ Roses… it’s hard enough to run 10k when you’re not rocking out, punching the air.
@Del: You’re totally right. The Prodigy gets no love from my iTunes. Time to fix that.