Apple did the expectedly-unexpected and announced the iPhone.
It’s a widescreen iPod mixed with a mobile phone mixed with a teeny-tiny Mac for Safari and Mail. Put simply, this is the most awesome piece of consumer electronics I have ever seen, so far. And I’ve seen a lot.
$599 for 8GB version.
$499 for 4GB version.
So, some questions:
- Released in June in the US, but Q4 2007 IN EUROPE?! WHYYY? Oh the humanity.
- 5 hour talk/video battery life, 16 hour audio battery life… but what’s the standby life?
- Who will be the carrier partner in Ireland? I’m guessing this will be O2, since they’ve got a lot of ties with Apple, but…
- Why partner with Google for the maps and search, but partner with Yahoo for the mail?
How does it know where you are for the location-aware maps stuff? Cellular towers? Or is this a feature of 3G?
Update: Answered in the actual keynote – there doesn’t seem to be any location-awareness in the phone. Steve had manually entered “Moscone West” as as ‘saved location’ in the maps application
- Are there any other differences between the two versions? Because I can’t imagine anyone not springing the extra $100 for the larger capacity one.
- What kind of graphics chip is powering this beast?