We had a vegetarian friend coming over for dinner, so I had to quickly throw some stuff together. This is a variation of a Salsa Verde. If I was making it again (and not catering for a vegetarian), I would probably include the more traditional ingredient of a few anchovies.
* Bag of new/baby potatoes (6 potatoes per person)
* Jar of Pickled Gherkins (3 gherkins or so)
* Handful of Parsley
* Jar of capers (a small handful of capers)
* Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
* Salt & Pepper
* Olive oil
* Red wine vinegar
1. Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
2. Cut the new potatoes into reasonably small chunks, about the thickness of your thumb, put them into the water.
3. Chop the parsley really fine
4. Chop the gherkins really fine
5. Put the parsley, gherkins and lemon into a bowl and mash them (use a pestle and mortar or even food processor if you want)
6. Pour in a good dash of red wine vinegar
7. Pour in enough olive oil to make the paste runny but still thick
8. When the potatoes are cooked, drain most of the water (leaving a little bit in there to be soaked up). Keep the potatoes in the pot with the leftover water.
9. Pour in the paste and shake the pot, making the potatoes slightly fluffy at the edges. This helps the potatoes collect and absorb the sauce.
It was lovely ^_^